Integrate Dragon with OmegaT
Thread poster: catopie
catopie
catopie
France
New user
Oct 4

Hello everyone,

I am new to proz and this is the first time I post, so I'm sorry if the question has been asked before.

I am a user of OmegaT and I would like to add a speech recognition tool. I've heard a lot about Dragon.

If you use Dragon with OmegaT, which version do you use and how do you integrate it with OmegaT?
Or: do you use other speech recognition tools, and if so, what can you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your advise and y
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am new to proz and this is the first time I post, so I'm sorry if the question has been asked before.

I am a user of OmegaT and I would like to add a speech recognition tool. I've heard a lot about Dragon.

If you use Dragon with OmegaT, which version do you use and how do you integrate it with OmegaT?
Or: do you use other speech recognition tools, and if so, what can you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your advise and your help.

Best regards
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:37
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Hard to say Oct 5

catopie wrote:

Dragon is expensive and not really being actively developed (version 16 came out recently but seemed to offer little improvement for the very significant upgrade price). It is not clear what plans Microsoft has for it.

On the other hand it is pretty much the only paid option available right now. I have never used OmegaT, so I don't know whether Dragon will work with it in such a way as to utilize all of Dragon's functionality, but I suspect it will not. I assume you will be dictating in English - I'm not sure of Dragon's capabilities in other languages.

There are alternatives out there such as Talon, but these are more difficult to get to grips with, and offer somewhat different approaches. Again, I'm not sure what the language situation is like with those alternatives. I use Talon in English, which works well, but is not for the fainthearted.

Even if all goes well, the shift to speech recognition is often slow and frustrating, and there is a lot to learn.

The best place to chat about this sort of thing is probably the KnowBrainer forum. If you do buy, I would consider buying from them.

https://forums.knowbrainer.com/forum/dragon-speech-recognition

Hopefully somebody better informed than myself will be along shortly.

Good luck,
Dan

catopie
catopie
France
New user
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 8

Thank you very much for your reply, I will take a look at the forum.
Best regards,
Catherine

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Integrate Dragon with OmegaT

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »